Artstream in the Salt Lake City School District
Artstream, is a Salt Lake District Choice Initiative offered in several schools working collaboratively across elementary, middle and high school levels to provide strong academics and more ways for students to learn and find success by integrating dance, drama, music and visual arts into the curriculum, K-12.
The schools involved in Artstream are...
To provide a rich, engaging educational experience honoring the individual needs and talents of all students by offering a comprehensive, sequential and interdisciplinary fine arts education.
Balancing strong academics with comprehensive fine arts education.
3 POINT APPROACH
- ART FOR ART'S SAKE
- ART AS AN ENTRY TO OTHER STUDIES
- OTHER STUDIES AS TOOLS TO EXPLORE THE ARTS
GOALS FOR STUDENTS
- PROMOTE VERBAL AND NONVERBAL EXPRESSION, building creativity and academic and cultural literacy
- BUILD INTELLECTUAL AND EMOTIONAL STRENGTH through independent thought, critical analysis, problem-solving, and selfdiscipline.
- EXPAND AND VARY AVENUES FOR LEARNING, creating success for all children, including English language learners, those with disabilities and special learning needs.
- BUILD CAPACITY TO INTERPRET AND USE INFORMATION in today's complex, technological, media-driven society.
- CELEBRATE DIVERSITY through access to other civilizations and cultures promoting necessary perspective in a multi-ethnic society.
- ENHANCE THE QUALITY OF EACH STUDENT'S SCHOOL LIFE with engaging curriculum that meets student needs.
- EXPAND EDUCATIONAL AND CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
- INCREASE the number of children who receive a comprehensive, sequential arts education aligned with the Utah State office of Education Core Curriculum, K-12.
- INCREASE the number and breadth of teachers who participate in professional development activities between and among the levels (elementary, MS and HS).
- DEVELOP strategies and lesson plans to integrate the fine arts core with the other core areas.
- INCREASE the instructional time devoted to integrated arts education.
- ASSIST classroom teachers in working with teaching artists to integrate the curriculum.
- DEMONSTRATE students' arts skills through USOE portfolios or other measures developed collaboratively.
- ENGAGE teachers and artists from all disciplines in serious inquiry about how the arts are related to learning in other subjects and how to make educationally powerful links.
THE ARTSTREAM PROGRAM
- FOLLOWS A SEQUENTIAL AND COMPREHENSIVE K-12 PLAN focusing on literature, creative writing, visual and media art, dance, theatre and music.
- ALIGNS WITH NATIONAL STANDARDS AND STATE FINE ARTS CORE CURRICULUM
- USES ART TO EXPLORE CONNECTIONS BETWEEN DIFFERENT SUBJECT AREAS
- COMMITS APPROPRIATE RESOURCES, including textbooks, instructional materials, supplies and facilities.
- SUPPORTS ON-GOING CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT AND INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN to help students function successfully in our dynamic society.
- REGULARLY ASSESSES the quality of teaching, curriculum, facilities and student performance.
ARTSTREAM SCHOOLS ARE COMMITTED TO
- MAKING ARTS EDUCATION a part of their school improvement plans.
- INVOLVING ART SPECIALISTS in a shared responsibility for meeting student and teacher achievement goals.
- COLLABORATING ON curriculum, K-12 arts opportunities, professional development and fund raising.
- NETWORKING with community arts organizations, universities and government agencies.
- ENHANCING THE SKILLS of teachers and artists through professional development, mentoring and side-by-side teaching.
- BECOMING MODEL SITES for art education and collaboration.
- PARTICIPATING in evaluation activities to demonstrate the positive results of systematic teaching of the arts.
- STUDENTS will receive a broad-based quality education integrating the arts with other core subject areas.
- STUDENTS may choose to attend one of fifteen Artstream Salt Lake schools through the district's Choice Initiative Program.
- STUDENTS will be able to demonstrate arts skills mastered through portfolios, performances and a variety of other measures.
- STUDENTS with a variety of individual needs and talents, participating in arts education classes in Artstream schools, when compared with students in non-arts education classes will have:
- Higher achievement in core subjects for regular and at risk students.
- Lower dropout rates.
- Higher emotional intelligence.
- Greater representation in arts education classes as they progress through school.
- STUDENTS will have the opportunity to interact with teachers and students from all levels by participating in K-12 performance and exhibition activities.
STUDENTS, THEIR FAMILIES, AND SCHOOL EMPLOYEES will learn about the Artstream plan for a comprehensive, K-12 arts education through:
- Online information
- Professional development
- K-12 exhibition and performance activities
- School newsletters
- School community councils
- Parent councils
- Faculty meetings
- ENERGIZED, ENGAGED, MOTIVATED STUDENTS
- ENTHUSIASTIC, CREATIVE, INNOVATIVE TEACHERS
- PARENTS, PLEASED WITH A BROAD BASED CURRICULUM
- SUPPORTIVE AND INVOLVED ARTISTS AND COMMUNITY
- VIBRANT, CARING, SUCCESSFUL SCHOOLS
STUDENTS will be able to demonstrate mastery of arts skills and when compared to
students in schools without an ARTSTREAM focus, will have:
- Higher achievement in core subjects.
- Lower drop out rates.
- Higher emotional intelligence.
- Greater representation in arts education classes K-12.
AGENDA FOR THE FUTURE
- NEW WEBSITE
- K-3 MUSIC
- MORE K-12 PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES
- NEW PARTNERSHIPS
- RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT